Skip to main content

Updates on Life

I've taken a long break from writing. I've been busy living this one wild and precious life, and healing from the most painful surgery of my breast cancer journey so far.

For my faithful prayer warriors, here's a quick recap.

June

I had part one of my reconstructive surgery, an 11-hour operation using tissue from my back, because I didn't have enough fat to go the usual route. That same day I became a Lollie for the third time. My heart still aches that I couldn't be with my middle baby while she delivered her first baby like we'd planned. She went into labor as they were wheeling me back for surgery. I left the hospital three days later with four drains, barely able to walk or move. But getting to meet my new grandbaby was worth every bump of that painful ride home.


July

I fell twice and got an infection, and both set me back. My drains couldn't come out because the fluid levels were too high after the falls. 

Three weeks after surgery, I started a new job teaching high school. I work at a year-round school, so we began in July. I had two drains coming out of my sides and compression garments covering my back, stomach, and legs down to my knees. I couldn't sit up in the car, so Gavin drove me to work and picked me up every day.

The pain was horrendous. I got stronger, but I still collapsed after work in tears and slept until I had to get up and do it all again.



August

Drain-free! It may be the most liberating feeling in the world. I kept teaching, my stamina grew, and I spent my weekends resting and preparing my body for another week.

September

I finally got strong enough to drive myself to and from work. I also got the shot I now need every six months. My doctors found that the second chemo drug caused osteoporosis in my spine and hips, and the pills I take to block estrogen (which feeds my type of cancer) also hurt bone health. So we're keeping a close eye on my bones. If they get worse, we'll have to find a new medication to keep cancer cells from growing. 

September is Childhood Cancer. Awareness month so every Friday I wore yellow for those who lost littles to this disease. 

October

I took my first trip in over a year that wasn't to a doctor's office!


Gavin and I went to Maxwell AFB, walked around Montgomery, and saw where Rosa Parks was arrested. We visited friends from Alaska on the way to Chattanooga, where we went to Ruby Falls, an underground waterfall. It felt fitting to see a place tied to the story of high school sweethearts with my own high school sweetheart.





Then we went home for a few days to snuggle grandbabies and go boating before heading to Ponce de León's Fountain of Youth. The natural spring is 68 degrees. After a very short dip, my surgical areas felt great, but it was c-c-cold!


We got to enjoy time with family, eat some authentic, home cooked southern/cajun foods, take my Dad to New Orleans where Gavin and I were engaged 25 years ago and just be together (which is always my favorite place to be).

As you can see we have been blessed and living life, and what a beautiful life it is. Each day is a gift and I pray all of you take a moment to reflect on the good in each day, especially on the days that you struggle.  

There are hard days and challenges I am still fighting through, and another surgery on the horizon, but every day is a blessing. The power surges (hot flashes) caused by sudden forced menopause are no fun, but at least I am warm for the first time in my life. The pain in my bones, chest, underarms, and back are really rough some days, but I am learning how to give my body grace as I rebuild. I still get nerve shocks that bring me to tears at times from the damage the allergic reaction from chemo caused in my trigeminal nerve, but I am grateful that even in the painful moments I can feel the loving and comforting hand of God. I know there is purpose in my pain and I trust that Jesus will use it for His glory. 

I hope you all our prayer warriors know how grateful we are for your prayers and check ins. The calls, daily texts, cards and support have been blessings I praise God for as they have helped rebuild our strength and kept us focused on what matters. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Do We Say Goodbye?

How do you say goodbye  to a spirit bigger than most,  and loved by all? By remembering what he did and who he was.  He wrestled.  He was a man who pinned opponents to the mat with power, strength, and fire,  yet always ended with a handshake, eyes steady, dignity intact. He rode.  A man who rode bulls for a living, chasing dust and danger,  his raw talent and fierce determination recognized long before the buckles came. He lived. He was a man who lived with integrity,  stood up for others with the heart of a hero and felt  the power of the Holy Spirit when he gave his life to Jesus.  He loved.  He was a man who loved his son and his family with a passion second only to the love of our Savior.  He was a friend who simply showed up every time he said he would and even when you didn’t ask him to. A man who gave his whole heart, his time, and his hugs to those lucky enough to love him. So how do we say goodbye? We wrestle.  W...

Held by Jesus When the Treatment Ends

Today is one full of emotions as we navigate the next steps in cancer care. We went in for my weekly chemotherapy appointment today and chatted with my fellow pink sisters in the waiting room. It is amazing how connected you become when you are trudging through the same dark valley and realize those sweet shared stories are the light that keeps you going some days. When I was called back, one of my phenomenal nurses, Jenny, accessed my port and shared the good news of her recent engagement and Christmas plans. My other nurse, Lucy, came over to say hi and see how I was doing. These two women are truly some of the most amazing humans I have ever met. They serve in a tough area of care and never make you feel like they have been hardened. Their compassion, expertise, and skill in caring for their patients clearly show the love of Jesus in one of the seemingly most bleak areas of healthcare. No one wants to be there, but I appreciated that each week I would get to see these two beautiful ...

I WANT MY LIFE BACK!

"I WANT MY LIFE BACK!" I have cried out these words many times from the depths of my being throughout this disease. Each setback pushes the finish line farther away—the day when doctors' visits, poking needles, toxic drugs, and painful surgeries are finally behind me. Cancer doesn't just destroy cells and organs; it invades every part of your life and spills into the lives of those who love you most. This week, that truth tore out of me in sheer exhaustion. We went in for my first radiation appointment. It was supposed to include the creation of a mold to hold my body still, three tattoos (which we'll call "party dots"), and a scan to map out my radiation dosage and treatment plan. But instead of moving forward, we hit another snag—another delay in the care plan. The tissue expander (aka torture device) on the left side was blocking one of the beam angles needed to target the right-side cancer cells. Because of this, the radiation oncologist explained th...