Skip to main content

The Race That Didn’t Happen

The first Saturday of October, the cancer center where I'm treated holds a fundraiser run every year. My dad flew down, my whole family came together, and we planned to run the race I couldn't run last year. Then a big rainstorm was forecast, and the race was canceled.

When the organizers sent a message about the cancellation, and the storm turned out milder than predicted, some runners sent very unhappy emails. I was disappointed too, but last year at this time I was fighting for my life while undergoing chemo treatments, was exhausted and nauseated all the time, had lost 15 lbs, and was bald. I was so sick I couldn't even imagine walking to the start line, let alone the finish line. My goal was to walk it this year. We had beautiful and special shirts made by Mel Jolley at Guided Horizons Graphics for our whole family, some from out of state, to "Rally for Allie." 


But because of the people who dedicate their lives to saving lives like mine, I'll get the chance to walk (and maybe one day run again) with my family another day. We will run the race anyway, and that is more than enough for me.


Because of this cancer center team, every morning I wake up I praise God for one more day to love my high school sweetheart and husband of 25 years, my five kids, and my three tiny grandbabies, two of whom were born during my treatments and surgeries.

The men and women who deliver news that changes your whole world, and who serve us in some of our worst moments, are amazing humans. They love and care in ways only patients see and feel. I hope they know how loved they are, despite the disappointment that came their way for canceling to protect patients, families, and our community. I know that's where the decision came from. It was unpopular, but their perspective always bends toward health and safety.


So a message to my fellow racers:

To everyone who donated and signed up to run: thank you. I'm sorry the race was canceled and we couldn't gather to celebrate life. To anyone who is capable, go run the race anyway, and praise God that you can.


Let every stride on solid legs be praise that your stamina hasn't been knocked out by drugs that make it hard to walk to the bathroom. Every time the wind blows through your hair, praise God you don't have to watch it fall out in clumps in your hands, or feel your follicles ache as the drugs release strands of your once-long hair. Thank God for the heart beating in your chest and the air in your lungs.


Run the race anyway, while some are fighting to run the race of their lives.

Run the race anyway, for those whose race ended too early because of the C word.


Run the race anyway, while others run from patient to patient giving toxic drugs, handing out anti-nausea tools, and gently offering support and tissues alongside news that destroys dreams, not just races.


Run the race anyway.



Those of us who know what it feels like to hear the C word, and how it touches everything in your life, will keep fighting and run our race well. We'll finish our race too. And we'll do it knowing that a little rain and a canceled race don't hit the same way for those of us who have sat for hours in a chair that becomes the delivery spot for drugs you wish you could run away from.


Thank you to each of you who paid for the race. Thank you for supporting this community. Thank you for being upset it was canceled, because we know you wanted to show up and be part of the healing. Thank you for the funding that gives those of us still battling a chance to join you next year. And thank you for running the race anyway.

To the cancer team at Singing River: thank you for loving us so well and running alongside us every day. We see you. We are grateful for you. We love you.


To all of my prayer warriors, thank you for fighting for me and running this race with us this past year.  We know it is because of the healing hand of God I am still here to race another day. 


Running the race everyday,

Allie Gardner 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Do We Say Goodbye?

How do you say goodbye  to a spirit bigger than most,  and loved by all? By remembering what he did and who he was.  He wrestled.  He was a man who pinned opponents to the mat with power, strength, and fire,  yet always ended with a handshake, eyes steady, dignity intact. He rode.  A man who rode bulls for a living, chasing dust and danger,  his raw talent and fierce determination recognized long before the buckles came. He lived. He was a man who lived with integrity,  stood up for others with the heart of a hero and felt  the power of the Holy Spirit when he gave his life to Jesus.  He loved.  He was a man who loved his son and his family with a passion second only to the love of our Savior.  He was a friend who simply showed up every time he said he would and even when you didn’t ask him to. A man who gave his whole heart, his time, and his hugs to those lucky enough to love him. So how do we say goodbye? We wrestle.  W...

Held by Jesus When the Treatment Ends

Today is one full of emotions as we navigate the next steps in cancer care. We went in for my weekly chemotherapy appointment today and chatted with my fellow pink sisters in the waiting room. It is amazing how connected you become when you are trudging through the same dark valley and realize those sweet shared stories are the light that keeps you going some days. When I was called back, one of my phenomenal nurses, Jenny, accessed my port and shared the good news of her recent engagement and Christmas plans. My other nurse, Lucy, came over to say hi and see how I was doing. These two women are truly some of the most amazing humans I have ever met. They serve in a tough area of care and never make you feel like they have been hardened. Their compassion, expertise, and skill in caring for their patients clearly show the love of Jesus in one of the seemingly most bleak areas of healthcare. No one wants to be there, but I appreciated that each week I would get to see these two beautiful ...

I WANT MY LIFE BACK!

"I WANT MY LIFE BACK!" I have cried out these words many times from the depths of my being throughout this disease. Each setback pushes the finish line farther away—the day when doctors' visits, poking needles, toxic drugs, and painful surgeries are finally behind me. Cancer doesn't just destroy cells and organs; it invades every part of your life and spills into the lives of those who love you most. This week, that truth tore out of me in sheer exhaustion. We went in for my first radiation appointment. It was supposed to include the creation of a mold to hold my body still, three tattoos (which we'll call "party dots"), and a scan to map out my radiation dosage and treatment plan. But instead of moving forward, we hit another snag—another delay in the care plan. The tissue expander (aka torture device) on the left side was blocking one of the beam angles needed to target the right-side cancer cells. Because of this, the radiation oncologist explained th...