Skip to main content

Spoiler Alert: I Have Breast Cancer


I never thought this would be my view one day. No one ever really considers it when they are healthy, eat well, exercise, and avoid most things that do damage to the beautiful temple God created in the human body. However, this powerful perspective became my reality today, as I met with a medical oncologist, a surgical oncologist, and a radiology oncologist for a recent diagnosis of breast cancer.  


I realize this is probably a shock to many of you, as it was to our family; however, there are so many God winks in this story that I do not feel I can keep it to myself. God has a way of turning the most seemingly awful things into a beautiful blessing, and I have already witnessed His abundant love in the past month of medical screenings, testing, and waiting. I am not clear on what the future holds, but this year, I had already decided to let go and let God, and I am experiencing the goodness, grace, and peace that comes from truly honoring that commitment. 


I plan to write about this journey as it unfolds and will create some backstory entries to support the narrative God is developing in this place of absolute redemption and healing. I will share in my own way, at my own pace, but I know I cannot keep all the ways Jesus is showing His miraculous love and healing to myself. There is beauty in God’s story for my life as He reveals it one page at a time. I am grateful for the opportunity to draw closer to Him, to share His love with others, and proclaim this story of healing, which will manifest in God’s timing, not mine.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Do We Say Goodbye?

How do you say goodbye  to a spirit bigger than most,  and loved by all? By remembering what he did and who he was.  He wrestled.  He was a man who pinned opponents to the mat with power, strength, and fire,  yet always ended with a handshake, eyes steady, dignity intact. He rode.  A man who rode bulls for a living, chasing dust and danger,  his raw talent and fierce determination recognized long before the buckles came. He lived. He was a man who lived with integrity,  stood up for others with the heart of a hero and felt  the power of the Holy Spirit when he gave his life to Jesus.  He loved.  He was a man who loved his son and his family with a passion second only to the love of our Savior.  He was a friend who simply showed up every time he said he would and even when you didn’t ask him to. A man who gave his whole heart, his time, and his hugs to those lucky enough to love him. So how do we say goodbye? We wrestle.  W...

Held by Jesus When the Treatment Ends

Today is one full of emotions as we navigate the next steps in cancer care. We went in for my weekly chemotherapy appointment today and chatted with my fellow pink sisters in the waiting room. It is amazing how connected you become when you are trudging through the same dark valley and realize those sweet shared stories are the light that keeps you going some days. When I was called back, one of my phenomenal nurses, Jenny, accessed my port and shared the good news of her recent engagement and Christmas plans. My other nurse, Lucy, came over to say hi and see how I was doing. These two women are truly some of the most amazing humans I have ever met. They serve in a tough area of care and never make you feel like they have been hardened. Their compassion, expertise, and skill in caring for their patients clearly show the love of Jesus in one of the seemingly most bleak areas of healthcare. No one wants to be there, but I appreciated that each week I would get to see these two beautiful ...

I WANT MY LIFE BACK!

"I WANT MY LIFE BACK!" I have cried out these words many times from the depths of my being throughout this disease. Each setback pushes the finish line farther away—the day when doctors' visits, poking needles, toxic drugs, and painful surgeries are finally behind me. Cancer doesn't just destroy cells and organs; it invades every part of your life and spills into the lives of those who love you most. This week, that truth tore out of me in sheer exhaustion. We went in for my first radiation appointment. It was supposed to include the creation of a mold to hold my body still, three tattoos (which we'll call "party dots"), and a scan to map out my radiation dosage and treatment plan. But instead of moving forward, we hit another snag—another delay in the care plan. The tissue expander (aka torture device) on the left side was blocking one of the beam angles needed to target the right-side cancer cells. Because of this, the radiation oncologist explained th...