Skip to main content

Buella (cancer) Has Spread

Buella was entirely removed along with five lymph nodes and all the breast tissue they could remove on both sides. The tissues and tumor were sent for pathological testing. The report came back and was not what we hoped for. 

Buella has spread to the lymphovascular system, lymph nodes, and tissue around the nodes. Buella was also less than 1 mm away from the chest wall, so cancer cells are likely in the chest wall too. The tumor grade was thought to be a Grade 1 before surgery (not aggressive), and has now been determined to be a Grade 3 (most aggressive and has the highest recurrence rate). 

The news was hard to receive as I was praying for it to be all contained in the single tumor, and that would mean just surgeries and careful watching for a bit. However, this is not the story of my journey. I will need radiation, and we are waiting for the Oncotype test to come back to determine the need and type of chemotherapy. This will take 4 weeks, and we cannot start any treatment until I am healed from the double mastectomy. 

As shocking and unsettling as this information was for our family, I am so grateful that we serve a God who isn’t surprised or rattled by the pathology report. He knows the whole story and the exact time and date when healing will manifest itself. He is in control, so I don’t have to be. I praise Him through this journey as I heal and love those around me well. 

Although Buella’s aggressive behavior will further delay my trip to Italy, I can read, write, heal, and praise Jesus while snuggling under the blanket our daughter, Evelyn, and bonus son (SIL), Connor, gifted me. It is a blanket with the Italian coast printed on it. Each day, I will continue to focus on loving the people God has blessed me with, capturing the miracle of now moments, grieving with Jesus holding my hand, and praising God through every page of this adventure. 

Prayers are always appreciated, and I would love for you to pray for my loved ones. They are in various stages of grief, too, and I just want them to each fall deeper in love with Jesus through this diagnosis. 


Comments

  1. Alicia Thomas and FamilyJuly 11, 2025 at 11:12 AM

    Oh my goodness Ali. I am so sorry to hear this. You are courageous and brave and your faith in the Lord is amazing and honestly something I struggle with daily. I’m always trying to control situations and not giving it to the Lord enough.
    We will be praying for you continuously. Please, please just reach out if there is anything we could ever do for you or your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sending all the prayers, positive vibes, love and hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. God bless you. I pray for a miraculous healing. In Jesus name.Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praying for full recovery and healing

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sending prayers for you and your medical team. God is in control and He loves you and yours. I love the blanket, what a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sending prayers for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sending you so many prayers. I know god will comfort and guide you all through this journey🤍

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry to hear this. Will be praying for complete healing. Love you! Saundra

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ali- I will be praying for you. I hate this news. Love your precious faith in this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Ali, I am sorry the news wasn't as everyone had hoped. You have the best idea though...take time, rest, heal. Let others do things for you....it helps them and you. Use your experiences to educate others, keep thanking God for each sunrise, rain, sunny, pretty clouds, and sunset. Prepare for the next part of the process. All of this will help your journey. Sending prayers and love to you all. Barb

    ReplyDelete
  11. Praying for healing. Thank you for your strong testimony of faith!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am believing for a miracle! God, I ask for your healing to come quickly! Love you Ali 💕

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello my friend, My heart grieves with you as you heroically fight this unwanted guest that has affected your body. You are absolutely precious my friend and you and your family are in my prayers daily. I am so honored to have our paths cross during your brief stay at BUE. I am fighting for you in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How Do We Say Goodbye?

How do you say goodbye  to a spirit bigger than most,  and loved by all? By remembering what he did and who he was.  He wrestled.  He was a man who pinned opponents to the mat with power, strength, and fire,  yet always ended with a handshake, eyes steady, dignity intact. He rode.  A man who rode bulls for a living, chasing dust and danger,  his raw talent and fierce determination recognized long before the buckles came. He lived. He was a man who lived with integrity,  stood up for others with the heart of a hero and felt  the power of the Holy Spirit when he gave his life to Jesus.  He loved.  He was a man who loved his son and his family with a passion second only to the love of our Savior.  He was a friend who simply showed up every time he said he would and even when you didn’t ask him to. A man who gave his whole heart, his time, and his hugs to those lucky enough to love him. So how do we say goodbye? We wrestle.  W...

Held by Jesus When the Treatment Ends

Today is one full of emotions as we navigate the next steps in cancer care. We went in for my weekly chemotherapy appointment today and chatted with my fellow pink sisters in the waiting room. It is amazing how connected you become when you are trudging through the same dark valley and realize those sweet shared stories are the light that keeps you going some days. When I was called back, one of my phenomenal nurses, Jenny, accessed my port and shared the good news of her recent engagement and Christmas plans. My other nurse, Lucy, came over to say hi and see how I was doing. These two women are truly some of the most amazing humans I have ever met. They serve in a tough area of care and never make you feel like they have been hardened. Their compassion, expertise, and skill in caring for their patients clearly show the love of Jesus in one of the seemingly most bleak areas of healthcare. No one wants to be there, but I appreciated that each week I would get to see these two beautiful ...

I WANT MY LIFE BACK!

"I WANT MY LIFE BACK!" I have cried out these words many times from the depths of my being throughout this disease. Each setback pushes the finish line farther away—the day when doctors' visits, poking needles, toxic drugs, and painful surgeries are finally behind me. Cancer doesn't just destroy cells and organs; it invades every part of your life and spills into the lives of those who love you most. This week, that truth tore out of me in sheer exhaustion. We went in for my first radiation appointment. It was supposed to include the creation of a mold to hold my body still, three tattoos (which we'll call "party dots"), and a scan to map out my radiation dosage and treatment plan. But instead of moving forward, we hit another snag—another delay in the care plan. The tissue expander (aka torture device) on the left side was blocking one of the beam angles needed to target the right-side cancer cells. Because of this, the radiation oncologist explained th...