C.O.U.R.A.G.E. is Leadership

Aristotle called courage the first virtue because it makes all of the other virtues possible. Courage is a characteristic of great leaders, and followers tend to lean into those who are bold and confident in decisions. Courageous leaders are willing to take risks and embrace failure as lessons for future attempts. Courage is not the absence of fear; it is the willingness to move forward anyway.


If I am honest, I do not describe myself as courageous. I am risk-averse to a fault at times. Although others have stated I am brave for being willing to take risks and journey into the unknown, there is a fear hidden beneath the surface. Although some of the decisions I have made seem like acts of courage, often they are terrifying leaps of faith deemed necessary for survival or as an act of pure obedience to God.  


Perhaps, I am more courageous than I give myself credit for, but honestly, I believe it is only because of my relationship with Christ that I can embrace risks. I battle with fear, a fear that is not paralyzing, only because I ask God into it. I pray over Matthew 6:25-34 and Luke 12:22-34 and am still working on letting the worry go. However, I have learned that courage can be cerebral, while fear is emotional. Some may disagree, but that is how I process the emotion tied to decisions that require bravery. I am not a leader who will take bold risks without C.O.U.R.A.G.E. 


Calling out to God for clarity in His will

Optimizing skillsets and resources to determine the best outcome 

Utilizing the wisdom of my team

Reflecting on previous lessons learned

Asking hard questions (See below for great ones by Andy Stanley and my mentor and friend Sally Blumer)

Gauging the risks to the mission, team, and individuals

Empathizing with the needs of others impacted  


Having the C.O.U.R.A.G.E. to lead is essential to ensure I am creating an environment where my team can be courageous and bold in their decision-making and actions. I want my team to take risks, fail forward, and try new things. I also want them to know they have a leader they can trust who cares deeply for each of them and their families. 


I know courage is vital to leadership, and perhaps I will one day consider myself brave, but for now, I have the mind of C.O.U.R.A.G.E. to let God lead me in my weakness while I love with all my heart.



Questions to ask when making decisions:

  • The Integrity Question: Am I being honest with myself . . . really?
  • The Legacy Question: What story do I want to tell?
  • The Conscience Question: Is there a tension that deserves my attention?
  • The Maturity Question: What is the wise thing to do?
  • The Relationship Question: What does love require of me?
  • The Kingdom Question: Where will your gifts have the greatest impact on the Kingdom?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wrestling to Make a Difference

The Moment I Became A Teacher

School Lunch