Alaska Adventure Day 1

I am writing a quick note to let everyone know I have made it home! It was a wonder-filled day of God’s blessings. I traveled with my mask shielding my face but hope lighting my path. The airports were less crowded and I had my own row for one flight. The joy of just basking in the little moments along the way made me feel His presence in so many ways.

My final flight into Anchorage I sat next to a group of military veterans. I was delighted to learn I was sitting across the aisle from a tattooed Marine named Scott. He and I chatted for quite awhile about military, kids, health, work, education, and the non-profit he supports called Base Camp 40. It’s an organization that takes combat veterans out fishing and hunting to help them reconnect with nature. I was moved by his humble heart, his dedication to his brothers and sisters in arms, and how he talked fondly of his beautiful wife and four children.

He had mentioned he was a musician and his tour was canceled due to COVId. So, he was joining the Base Camp 40 fishing group this year. He needed some centering and nature has always helped him refocus. I asked what the name of his band was and he replied, “Scooter Brown Band.” Now, if you know me you know I sing in the praise and worship band at church, but I also really love the quiet. So I rarely listen to music on my own unless I’m running or worshipping. So, I couldn’t place the band, but he tours with Charlie Daniels and Kid Rock. Gulp, I knew those names. Yet, as we talked I just can’t explain how kind and humble he was.

Honestly, our conversation was awesome. He talked about his passion to pursue music and how hard he has had to work to get there. He shared how his wife has been his biggest supporter and has pushed him to go for his dream everyday. He was a proud daddy who shared stories about his children with the look of joy in his eyes. He was real. He showed me pictures of him and his friend Randy Travis hanging out. He showed me pictures of his family at The Grand Ole Opry, where he performed. He also showed me pictures of he and his friend Chris Kyle (American Sniper) before he passed. I was so honored to have had the opportunity to be sitting next to these men who have fought for our country and to know that so much of my heart is connected to the armed forces.

I was able to pray over them for safe travels and walked away with a sense of awe. I am amazed at God’s timing and the love he pours out daily. I was really struggling getting on that plane today, and had cried myself to sleep last night. I knew I would be flying further away from my family than ever before and I would be without them for at least a month. I have been through deployments and separations for military obligations, but I’ve always been the one to stay home with our children. So this is all new for me. God knew I needed that connection and conversation to start this journey. He knew I needed to remember the impact teachers can have on the lives of their students, the spiritual centering that comes from connecting to nature, the sheer excitement and hope in chasing dreams, and the joy that comes from embracing the Miracle of Now.

So, as I start this journey my heart is full of hope, new friends, and peace. Oh and later today I will use Spotify to run to tunes by my new friend Scott ...Scooter Brown. If you haven’t already go buy his music. He is one musician I will happily support.

My favorite scripture epitomizes my new friend so it is only fitting to end with this: Ephesians 4:2
Always be humble and gentle. Be patient. Be kind and accept each other with love.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wrestling to Make a Difference

School Lunch

The Moment I Became A Teacher