Choose Joy

My grandma once told me that sometimes in life happiness or joy will be a choice, not a feeling. There are days I understand that wise saying more than others. Sometimes I focus on all the things I cannot control and choose to see all the chaos and obstacles in my path instead of the joy at the moment. 

I imagine you have had those days too when nothing seems to go right, and you just cannot catch a break. You are tired and frustrated and snap at your kids, your spouse, and your dog, and you just want to crawl back into bed and wake up in a new day.

Well, the book of James 1:2-3 says, "Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance." 



This verse tells me God recognizes we will struggle and have days which test our faith. However, these trials are not meant to drive us away from a relationship with him or with others. Instead, God wants us to find pure joy during these times of chaos or struggle, so our faith is bolstered and we persevere in spite of the attacks on our spirit, mind, body and frankly our energy. 

Flying home from the #Drive19 Conference was an adventure that had "trials of many kinds" embedded into the journey.  
Crossroads Church Drive 19 Attendees

So, the chart below is broken up by the trials and the joy I chose to see throughout my 22-hour journey home.







So, what brings you joy? The next time you face "trials of many kinds," embrace the moments of pure joy. The little things that require you take a moment to recognize what God is doing in your life. We will all face challenges and frustration, loss and discontentment, pain and confusion. However, even if we cannot control the outcomes we can control our response and we can choose joy.

My challenge to all of you is to take the trials of many kinds or the moments of struggle and choose to see the joy. Keep a Joy Journal, or verbally praise God aloud and just thank him for the opportunity to choose joy. We can show those around us who Jesus really is when we choose joy in times of chaos or stress, not just when life is blue skies and sunshine. They will question why you handle every circumstance with a smile instead of a sneer.  So stop stressing and start blessing by choosing joy. 


Joy Journal

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wrestling to Make a Difference

School Lunch

The Moment I Became A Teacher