Skip to main content

SPRING FEVER IS HERE

Spring is here, even if the weather seems to suggest otherwise.  It is a time of rebirth, regrowth, and a fresh spirit. Our students feel it, and so do we. I am sure the crazy spring fever can be seen in the classrooms across the nation. This meme popped up on Facebook, and it seems to match my mood as of late. I was working on a paper with students today and came home completely burned out and frustrated. The students were distracted, acted confused, and seemed to have little interest in putting forth any effort.  So, when I left the building I felt... well... like Carol Burnett looks.

After standing in the wind ,at a freezing track meet and eating a cold picnic dinner, I had cooled off enough to reflect.  Is the April face of this teacher a problem because of my own lack of focus on my actions and words?

I am a firm believer that we should use choice words in our classroom, never use sarcasm, nor should you yell.  Yelling becomes white noise after awhile, and sarcasm is just anger's ugly cousin. Choice words help to steer students to the expected behavior and do not highlight the negative. I have been heavily trained in Positive Behavior Supports and Interventions and know it works. If you want to change the classroom behaviors then do not demand control, gently guide by choosing your words wisely.

So, the rest of the week I am going back to the basics of SPRING.


  • Smile before I respond. (Take a moment to think a happy thought and reply with a smile) 
  • Positives first. (According to PBIS you should have a 5 to 1 ratio for positives to redirects)
  • Reply to questions with renewed vigor instead of a frustrated sigh or tone.  
  • Individual student behaviors will be handled one on one, and not across the room. 
  • Notice the behaviors I want and call them out loud and proud.
  • Give permission for brain breaks every 15 minutes for you and your students.


I hope you will join me as we welcome SPRING into our classrooms, homes, and businesses. If you give it a try I am sure you find the rewards to be plenty and the joy to be invigorating. Please share and comment to spread the warmth of SPRING.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Do We Say Goodbye?

How do you say goodbye  to a spirit bigger than most,  and loved by all? By remembering what he did and who he was.  He wrestled.  He was a man who pinned opponents to the mat with power, strength, and fire,  yet always ended with a handshake, eyes steady, dignity intact. He rode.  A man who rode bulls for a living, chasing dust and danger,  his raw talent and fierce determination recognized long before the buckles came. He lived. He was a man who lived with integrity,  stood up for others with the heart of a hero and felt  the power of the Holy Spirit when he gave his life to Jesus.  He loved.  He was a man who loved his son and his family with a passion second only to the love of our Savior.  He was a friend who simply showed up every time he said he would and even when you didn’t ask him to. A man who gave his whole heart, his time, and his hugs to those lucky enough to love him. So how do we say goodbye? We wrestle.  W...

Held by Jesus When the Treatment Ends

Today is one full of emotions as we navigate the next steps in cancer care. We went in for my weekly chemotherapy appointment today and chatted with my fellow pink sisters in the waiting room. It is amazing how connected you become when you are trudging through the same dark valley and realize those sweet shared stories are the light that keeps you going some days. When I was called back, one of my phenomenal nurses, Jenny, accessed my port and shared the good news of her recent engagement and Christmas plans. My other nurse, Lucy, came over to say hi and see how I was doing. These two women are truly some of the most amazing humans I have ever met. They serve in a tough area of care and never make you feel like they have been hardened. Their compassion, expertise, and skill in caring for their patients clearly show the love of Jesus in one of the seemingly most bleak areas of healthcare. No one wants to be there, but I appreciated that each week I would get to see these two beautiful ...

I WANT MY LIFE BACK!

"I WANT MY LIFE BACK!" I have cried out these words many times from the depths of my being throughout this disease. Each setback pushes the finish line farther away—the day when doctors' visits, poking needles, toxic drugs, and painful surgeries are finally behind me. Cancer doesn't just destroy cells and organs; it invades every part of your life and spills into the lives of those who love you most. This week, that truth tore out of me in sheer exhaustion. We went in for my first radiation appointment. It was supposed to include the creation of a mold to hold my body still, three tattoos (which we'll call "party dots"), and a scan to map out my radiation dosage and treatment plan. But instead of moving forward, we hit another snag—another delay in the care plan. The tissue expander (aka torture device) on the left side was blocking one of the beam angles needed to target the right-side cancer cells. Because of this, the radiation oncologist explained th...