We Plan and God Laughs.

There is an old Yiddish Proverb, which says "We Plan- God Laughs."  Proverbs 16:33 from the Bible puts it this way: "We may throw the dice, but the Lord determines how they fall."  These proverbs have been the truth this week as I look to the future.  
When Gavin and I moved back to Iowa we decided on settling in Ottumwa, with the intent that Gavin would finish his teaching degree and find a job locally. He was perfectly fine driving over three hours a day for a year while he completed his intern license. My plan was to stay at Cardinal and teach at least until our kids were out of school.  (Insert God's little chuckle and a head shake here.)

Two years down the road, Gavin is still driving from Des Moines each day. He has been promoted in his role as Director of Medical Simulation and loves his specialized career field. He enjoys Des Moines University very much, and he is amazing at what he does. On the other hand, I am completing my second masters degree in leadership this summer, and have found leadership to be a calling I never thought would find me. I have been serving as an Instructional Coach, Lead Mentor, Special Education Lead for the past year. It has been the most amazing ride because I am blessed with a fantastic staff to work alongside. I have also never worked for a better set of principals, as they are the epitome of leadership. Plus, I have a partner who is supportive, loving and challenges me every day. What more could I want?  

Well, I would love for my children to have their dad at their school events. I would love to have him home for dinner time. I would love for him to be able to come home and not be so tired from driving he does not feel well.  We all want to give our kids what we didn't have, so, I want my kids to have time with their dad while they still can. 

God created me to be a teacher, and it is what I love to do each day. God also asked me to respect and honor my husband, and to raise our children in the light of His ways. Therefore, this week I have taken a new position in a school district closer to my husband's job. This way we can be a family on more than just the weekends he does not have military duty. This decision has been one of the most difficult in my life. It has been painful because of the team of teachers I get to work with each day, whom I will miss greatly. I truly love and respect all of you and know you will continue to grow and learn alongside one another next year. I am sorry that I will miss out on seeing the great things you will accomplish. 

So, as I leave my friends and the position I have come to love, I hope you understand that my priorities in life have to be God and family first.  However,  I will always cherish my time at Cardinal because of all of you.  I am also dedicated to my staff, families and students until the end of my contract, and will support you in any way I can for a lifetime; all you have to do is ask.
Thank you for allowing me into your classrooms and for trusting me with your fears, frustrations and celebrations. I am honored that I have had the chance to teach with each of you. 

Thank you my friends, and may God Bless you all.  

Romans 12:1-2 So here's what I want you to do, God helping you: Take your everyday, ordinary life—your sleeping, eating, going-to-work, and walking-around life—and place it before God as an offering. Embracing what God does for you is the best thing you can do for him. Don't become so well-adjusted to your culture that you fit into it without even thinking. Instead, fix your attention on God. You'll be changed from the inside out. Readily recognize what he wants from you, and quickly respond to it. 

Peace and Prayers,
Allie 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wrestling to Make a Difference

The Moment I Became A Teacher

School Lunch