Reading: A Fire Is Ignited


    Education is a word I have valued throughout my entire life. Not because my family has been the “Straight A Valedictorians,” but because this was something lacking in our lives.  My mother did not finish high school because she got pregnant with me, and my father dropped out his senior year with four months left to go. Therefore, even as a small child, I was taught to believe that education would be the one thing that could save you from a life like the one my parents faced.
    The hardships, struggles and financial abyss caused daily worry lines in my parents’ faces.  My mother was responsible for caring for the house, and making the little money coming in, work to fill our stomachs.  Daddy worked many different jobs to help Mom with the responsibility of keeping us fed and clothed. He was a garbage man, maintenance worker for the city of Cabool, mowed lawns, cleaned city hall at night, and many other odd jobs that allowed us to survive. He worked so hard to provide, and we never went hungry.  I know he was exhausted when he came home at night. Yet, he always found time for a game of ball tag, Dr. Seuss readings, star gazing or dancing with “his girls.”
     Both Mom and Dad were very adamant about learning, and going to school. My parents knew from experience that it was the lack of education that held them back from reaching their dreams. Therefore, with the pressures of living in a family where brains were of great value, I was raised to learn. I started reading at three-years-old, and each day my mother would sit down and make me go through difficult words, until I could sound things out on my own. I am so thankful for this connection as a child, because it helped to spark an interest that would one day become a passion, and a driving force in my life. Reading not only showed me a life free from poverty, but it showed me a world of possibilities, gave me hope and helped pull me through the toughest times in my life.
    I faced one of those times of terrible trials at the age of seven. It was during this year when my loving father was killed in a train collision while I was at school. I remember the pain, fear and hurt that filled every part of my being, and I also remember reading until the tears quit falling. I would start to cry, or get really scared, and I would find a quiet, closed in space and pick up a book. I would start to read through the tears, until the story carried me away to someplace less painful. I know this is why I still love books with happy endings, because those stories always spread a warmth through me that lasts for a long time.
    The three weeks I spent at home after the loss of my hero, my daddy, were a blur. However, the exception was the time spent reading anything within reach. I know this helped prepare me for my future, but it also helped to create a bond with something that could give me a reprieve from the pain, even if it was only for a little while.  
    Now, as an English, teacher one of my passions is to get kids to connect to reading. Maybe those who have had me for a teacher, now understand why I was constantly promoting reading for pleasure.  I watch some of the students in my life going through terrible struggles, and learning to cope is difficult. However, if they had a story to whisk them away for just a few minutes, or a piece of literature that could give them hope I know their lives could be better. I also believe the unhealthy choices my students have chosen; drugs, alcohol, gangs, fighting, and running away are all the things that will bring them further down in their lives. Reading will bring them up, give them something to hold onto, and it improves their chances of success in life.
    In the posts to come, I will discuss how the passion for reading, life and learning was further intensified by a teacher who pulled me through it all. Mrs. Frederick was my teacher during that tumultuous year in my life. She became the woman who taught me to love, fight for my beliefs, and push myself to higher heights. She stoked a fire reading had started, and now that fire has engulfed my life and my career.

Comments

  1. Allie, I love listening to your stories! I also miss hearing you read aloud. Even as adults there is something soothing about hearing a story with just the perfect emotion in it.
    I am having a difficult time getting a few students to read and am told that reading is 'boring'. I tried to explain to them reading is a safe place, when you are down or stressed out, pick up a book and escape for a little while. I sometimes get so wrapped up in a story that real life disappears...sometimes a much needed pause. Keep Posting! I love to read your writings!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Jacque. I appreciate the feedback!!! I hope it is helping someone. Ideas for reading...put them on Shenandoah Public Library Tumble Readables. Or read aloud just to read aloud without any assignment attached. Choose a great teen social issue book like Breathing Underwater by Alex Flinn. They will find themselves pulled in, and realize reading is not boring if you find something you are interested in. I understand your pain completely, believe me, I deal with this daily, but as I learn the kids I find books that will work for each one and try to share them. Sometimes it takes just one good book to spark the joy. Sometimes I bring in children's books and have them read for fun. I did that this Friday for Dr. Seuss's birthday. I will write a blog on it because it was so cute. I had kids who never read, constantly talk or bicker throughout the class reading silently. They were cuddled up with The Cat and The Hat and a pillow, all around my room. Sometimes it takes them understanding that even if it is the Cocoa Pebbles cereal box that reading does elicit good feelings, thoughts, and makes them use strategies. Good reading does not come just from novels. Sorry...I am writing an entire blog now. Anyway thank you so much for reading and commenting!!! It means a lot Jacque!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Allie! You should have warned me that reading your blog would make me cry... Nevertheless I enjoyed reading it. Your passion for reading is admirable. You are an inspiration to many :)

      Your Friend, Katherine

      Delete
  3. Alecia you kept me captive for way longer than I realized. You are wonderfully gifted. I always knew you were very mature for your young age but did not realize the depth of the sadness within you until now.
    Being able to overcome and make a happy home the way you have is something you can be very proud of. You are a wonderful mentor! The love, patience, and kindness is felt from you in person and through your writing. Keep on touching lives. You make a difference!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Wrestling to Make a Difference

The Moment I Became A Teacher

School Lunch