Skip to main content

C.O.U.R.A.G.E. is Leadership

Aristotle called courage the first virtue because it makes all of the other virtues possible. Courage is a characteristic of great leaders, and followers tend to lean into those who are bold and confident in decisions. Courageous leaders are willing to take risks and embrace failure as lessons for future attempts. Courage is not the absence of fear; it is the willingness to move forward anyway.


If I am honest, I do not describe myself as courageous. I am risk-averse to a fault at times. Although others have stated I am brave for being willing to take risks and journey into the unknown, there is a fear hidden beneath the surface. Although some of the decisions I have made seem like acts of courage, often they are terrifying leaps of faith deemed necessary for survival or as an act of pure obedience to God.  


Perhaps, I am more courageous than I give myself credit for, but honestly, I believe it is only because of my relationship with Christ that I can embrace risks. I battle with fear, a fear that is not paralyzing, only because I ask God into it. I pray over Matthew 6:25-34 and Luke 12:22-34 and am still working on letting the worry go. However, I have learned that courage can be cerebral, while fear is emotional. Some may disagree, but that is how I process the emotion tied to decisions that require bravery. I am not a leader who will take bold risks without C.O.U.R.A.G.E. 


Calling out to God for clarity in His will

Optimizing skillsets and resources to determine the best outcome 

Utilizing the wisdom of my team

Reflecting on previous lessons learned

Asking hard questions (See below for great ones by Andy Stanley and my mentor and friend Sally Blumer)

Gauging the risks to the mission, team, and individuals

Empathizing with the needs of others impacted  


Having the C.O.U.R.A.G.E. to lead is essential to ensure I am creating an environment where my team can be courageous and bold in their decision-making and actions. I want my team to take risks, fail forward, and try new things. I also want them to know they have a leader they can trust who cares deeply for each of them and their families. 


I know courage is vital to leadership, and perhaps I will one day consider myself brave, but for now, I have the mind of C.O.U.R.A.G.E. to let God lead me in my weakness while I love with all my heart.



Questions to ask when making decisions:

  • The Integrity Question: Am I being honest with myself . . . really?
  • The Legacy Question: What story do I want to tell?
  • The Conscience Question: Is there a tension that deserves my attention?
  • The Maturity Question: What is the wise thing to do?
  • The Relationship Question: What does love require of me?
  • The Kingdom Question: Where will your gifts have the greatest impact on the Kingdom?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Do We Say Goodbye?

How do you say goodbye  to a spirit bigger than most,  and loved by all? By remembering what he did and who he was.  He wrestled.  He was a man who pinned opponents to the mat with power, strength, and fire,  yet always ended with a handshake, eyes steady, dignity intact. He rode.  A man who rode bulls for a living, chasing dust and danger,  his raw talent and fierce determination recognized long before the buckles came. He lived. He was a man who lived with integrity,  stood up for others with the heart of a hero and felt  the power of the Holy Spirit when he gave his life to Jesus.  He loved.  He was a man who loved his son and his family with a passion second only to the love of our Savior.  He was a friend who simply showed up every time he said he would and even when you didn’t ask him to. A man who gave his whole heart, his time, and his hugs to those lucky enough to love him. So how do we say goodbye? We wrestle.  W...

Held by Jesus When the Treatment Ends

Today is one full of emotions as we navigate the next steps in cancer care. We went in for my weekly chemotherapy appointment today and chatted with my fellow pink sisters in the waiting room. It is amazing how connected you become when you are trudging through the same dark valley and realize those sweet shared stories are the light that keeps you going some days. When I was called back, one of my phenomenal nurses, Jenny, accessed my port and shared the good news of her recent engagement and Christmas plans. My other nurse, Lucy, came over to say hi and see how I was doing. These two women are truly some of the most amazing humans I have ever met. They serve in a tough area of care and never make you feel like they have been hardened. Their compassion, expertise, and skill in caring for their patients clearly show the love of Jesus in one of the seemingly most bleak areas of healthcare. No one wants to be there, but I appreciated that each week I would get to see these two beautiful ...

I WANT MY LIFE BACK!

"I WANT MY LIFE BACK!" I have cried out these words many times from the depths of my being throughout this disease. Each setback pushes the finish line farther away—the day when doctors' visits, poking needles, toxic drugs, and painful surgeries are finally behind me. Cancer doesn't just destroy cells and organs; it invades every part of your life and spills into the lives of those who love you most. This week, that truth tore out of me in sheer exhaustion. We went in for my first radiation appointment. It was supposed to include the creation of a mold to hold my body still, three tattoos (which we'll call "party dots"), and a scan to map out my radiation dosage and treatment plan. But instead of moving forward, we hit another snag—another delay in the care plan. The tissue expander (aka torture device) on the left side was blocking one of the beam angles needed to target the right-side cancer cells. Because of this, the radiation oncologist explained th...