Skip to main content

American Education Week : Celebrate an Educator




Mark your calendars for American Education Week, scheduled for Nov. 17-21, 2014. The weeklong celebration presents opportunities to celebrate public education and honor the teachers who make a difference in the lives of children in classrooms across America. 


Fun fact: The first observance of American Education Week took place in Dec. 1921.   





Flourishing In Education By: Alecia Gardner
Who do you consider an educator? I have studied, researched, and my ideas have evolved throughout the years in trying to answer this question. I have even written a book on the subject of the difference in a teacher and an educator. However, one of the best definitions I have found came from Sr. Geralyn Schmidt, "An educator coaches individuals to become what is essential — to develop into human beings who are fully alive." 


Education has been deemed a thankless career field, with consistently low pay. However, there is no greater payment in the world than seeing students succeed.  True educators see the thanks in the smiles, hugs, and shouts of excitement. We embrace the joy that comes when a child "gets it," for the first time. We celebrate the small victories, and look at failure as a chance to grow. Educators do not give up even when a student has thrown in the towel.  Instead we research, design, plan and come up with another way to make a connection. 




I know from personal experience, an educator can change your life forever. Mrs. Frederick, my first grade teacher, taught me about what it means to be an educator during a terrible time in my life.  (Read more about The Moment I became an Educator). When I had thrown in the towel she was there to show me how to get back in the game. She taught me that education means more than just lesson planning, instructional strategies and assessments. Education is about developing relationships, and creating opportunities for students to become who God intended them to be. 




I know at Cardinal Community School District we embrace Schmidt's definition of an educator. We have a wonderful community of learners and educators within our district.  



So, this week as we celebrate National Education Week, we will have activities, thank you cards/letters and goodies for parents, support staff, teachers, paraeducators, secretaries, bus drivers, janitors, and substitutes to enjoy. We will celebrate their dedication and commitment to our students and to each other. 


 I extend a challenge to all who read this blog post to share it, comment with the name(s) of your favorite educator(s), and contact an educator in your life to thank him or her for helping you become "fully alive." Let's see how many educators we can impact this week with a simple act of kindness for the countless hours they have dedicated to developing "human beings who are fully alive." 


Monday :Kick Off Day
Tuesday: Parent Day
Wednesday: Support Staff Day
Thursday: Educators Day
Friday:Substitute Educator Day

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Do We Say Goodbye?

How do you say goodbye  to a spirit bigger than most,  and loved by all? By remembering what he did and who he was.  He wrestled.  He was a man who pinned opponents to the mat with power, strength, and fire,  yet always ended with a handshake, eyes steady, dignity intact. He rode.  A man who rode bulls for a living, chasing dust and danger,  his raw talent and fierce determination recognized long before the buckles came. He lived. He was a man who lived with integrity,  stood up for others with the heart of a hero and felt  the power of the Holy Spirit when he gave his life to Jesus.  He loved.  He was a man who loved his son and his family with a passion second only to the love of our Savior.  He was a friend who simply showed up every time he said he would and even when you didn’t ask him to. A man who gave his whole heart, his time, and his hugs to those lucky enough to love him. So how do we say goodbye? We wrestle.  W...

Held by Jesus When the Treatment Ends

Today is one full of emotions as we navigate the next steps in cancer care. We went in for my weekly chemotherapy appointment today and chatted with my fellow pink sisters in the waiting room. It is amazing how connected you become when you are trudging through the same dark valley and realize those sweet shared stories are the light that keeps you going some days. When I was called back, one of my phenomenal nurses, Jenny, accessed my port and shared the good news of her recent engagement and Christmas plans. My other nurse, Lucy, came over to say hi and see how I was doing. These two women are truly some of the most amazing humans I have ever met. They serve in a tough area of care and never make you feel like they have been hardened. Their compassion, expertise, and skill in caring for their patients clearly show the love of Jesus in one of the seemingly most bleak areas of healthcare. No one wants to be there, but I appreciated that each week I would get to see these two beautiful ...

I WANT MY LIFE BACK!

"I WANT MY LIFE BACK!" I have cried out these words many times from the depths of my being throughout this disease. Each setback pushes the finish line farther away—the day when doctors' visits, poking needles, toxic drugs, and painful surgeries are finally behind me. Cancer doesn't just destroy cells and organs; it invades every part of your life and spills into the lives of those who love you most. This week, that truth tore out of me in sheer exhaustion. We went in for my first radiation appointment. It was supposed to include the creation of a mold to hold my body still, three tattoos (which we'll call "party dots"), and a scan to map out my radiation dosage and treatment plan. But instead of moving forward, we hit another snag—another delay in the care plan. The tissue expander (aka torture device) on the left side was blocking one of the beam angles needed to target the right-side cancer cells. Because of this, the radiation oncologist explained th...