Skip to main content

ARE YOU HAPPY ?

Happiness is one of those things we all strive for, seek when we have lost it, and take it for granted when we have it.  In my philosophy class in college we had a heated debate regarding the word happy. It was interesting to hear the different view points about this five letter word. I truly believe that happiness is a choice (and I still have an 8 page philosophical essay to back up why I feel that way). Granted sometimes it is a difficult choice to make when life has thrown you a curve ball. Yet, if you choose a smile, and give it all to God, you can find the glory in each and every day.

Sometimes, you have to DECIDE to be happy. The Energy Bus by Jon Gordon is something I read after taking the 4th grade teaching position at a tiny school district in Eldon, Iowa.  Cardinal Community School District is a dynamic district, always seeking ways to ensure positive vibes are being cast out to our students, families,  community, co-workers and the world in which we live.

This past week, Cardinal Community School District is taking time to celebrate our greatest asset; our KIDS!!!! It is Student Appreciation Week; therefore, we have had many fun activities for students to enjoy. We just want them to know how much we appreciate having them in our classrooms. One very special project was inspired by the awesome video from Pharrell Williams, "Happy."  It seems to be our mantra, which coincides with our motto to "Do No Harm."  We do whatever we can to make our kids happy not just educated.  We developed this video to show all the world what happiness in education looks like.

We had a crew who filmed kids dancing, having fun and had enough footage of giggles, laughter and joy that we could have created a, "made for TV movie." However, I condensed it as much as I could, and am delighted with the outcome.    Share it, spread it,  sing it, shout it and please, please, please get up and DANCE TO IT!!!!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Do We Say Goodbye?

How do you say goodbye  to a spirit bigger than most,  and loved by all? By remembering what he did and who he was.  He wrestled.  He was a man who pinned opponents to the mat with power, strength, and fire,  yet always ended with a handshake, eyes steady, dignity intact. He rode.  A man who rode bulls for a living, chasing dust and danger,  his raw talent and fierce determination recognized long before the buckles came. He lived. He was a man who lived with integrity,  stood up for others with the heart of a hero and felt  the power of the Holy Spirit when he gave his life to Jesus.  He loved.  He was a man who loved his son and his family with a passion second only to the love of our Savior.  He was a friend who simply showed up every time he said he would and even when you didn’t ask him to. A man who gave his whole heart, his time, and his hugs to those lucky enough to love him. So how do we say goodbye? We wrestle.  W...

Held by Jesus When the Treatment Ends

Today is one full of emotions as we navigate the next steps in cancer care. We went in for my weekly chemotherapy appointment today and chatted with my fellow pink sisters in the waiting room. It is amazing how connected you become when you are trudging through the same dark valley and realize those sweet shared stories are the light that keeps you going some days. When I was called back, one of my phenomenal nurses, Jenny, accessed my port and shared the good news of her recent engagement and Christmas plans. My other nurse, Lucy, came over to say hi and see how I was doing. These two women are truly some of the most amazing humans I have ever met. They serve in a tough area of care and never make you feel like they have been hardened. Their compassion, expertise, and skill in caring for their patients clearly show the love of Jesus in one of the seemingly most bleak areas of healthcare. No one wants to be there, but I appreciated that each week I would get to see these two beautiful ...

I WANT MY LIFE BACK!

"I WANT MY LIFE BACK!" I have cried out these words many times from the depths of my being throughout this disease. Each setback pushes the finish line farther away—the day when doctors' visits, poking needles, toxic drugs, and painful surgeries are finally behind me. Cancer doesn't just destroy cells and organs; it invades every part of your life and spills into the lives of those who love you most. This week, that truth tore out of me in sheer exhaustion. We went in for my first radiation appointment. It was supposed to include the creation of a mold to hold my body still, three tattoos (which we'll call "party dots"), and a scan to map out my radiation dosage and treatment plan. But instead of moving forward, we hit another snag—another delay in the care plan. The tissue expander (aka torture device) on the left side was blocking one of the beam angles needed to target the right-side cancer cells. Because of this, the radiation oncologist explained th...