The Miracle of (One Day) Now

The Miracle of One Day Now 
By: Allie Gardner 
We have a calendar posted by the back door
Detailing our lives and obligations and much more 
There used to be something important listed for each day 
And when I would rush by with a weary sigh I’d say, 
One day God, I just want some white space.”
Not just events piled with time, people, and place
Until then my resolve, focus, and coffee would just have to be stronger 
As I rushed out the door with my list of to-dos growing longer 
I rationalized this busy schedule would only last for a season 
That one day I would balance life, activities, and work within reason
One day I would have the time to slow down and smell the roses 
One day we would be able to enjoy what was right under our noses
But for now, I had work to be done, money to be made, and children to raise 
I justified that I have to give more, achieve more, succeed more in this phase
Then one day there will be no more grind, hustle, or bustle
I won’t have to get to the next thing or do the event and kid shuffle
One day I will have plenty of time to relax, read, enjoy life and rest 
I will look back and know that I worked hard and did my best 
These were the things I told myself as I stood in front of that calendar of busy
Each day bleeding a new color, a flurry of activity to make anyone dizzy
It is a new month so it is time to list events for the next four weeks
So, I set about the chore while tears rolled down my cheeks
For the first time, my calendar now shows a life filled with harmony 
It reflects only the events that fall within the highest of priority 
Our youngest has a birthday to celebrate, lucky number thirteen
Which she will remember forever because it is in quarantine 
Our son’s graduation from Marine boot camp which fills my heart with pride
Yet, floods me with grief because we are not allowed to be by his side 
Then it hits me that in this month of Easter, something so great and profound 
Jesus broke the chains of death, and our hope for eternal life was found 
But this year we have another gift to cherish and praise as we shelter in place
We are blessed with an opportunity to see the beauty and wonder of God’s grace
In a quieter, less hectic world where God’s voice can actually be heard
Where the edges of life aren’t moving so fast that they become blurred
Do not wish for things to go back to normal when this is over at last 
Determine how your new calendar should be different from the past 
The time is here and now to make a change before it is too late 
You cannot look forward and say One day…”  you simply can’t wait
So, instead of seeing an empty calendar as something to fear, despise, or dread 
Remember the empty tomb brings hope and embrace The Miracle of Now instead



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wrestling to Make a Difference

School Lunch

The Moment I Became A Teacher